We've all heard the stories about Chinese restaurants and their means of acquiring their 'meat'. How there's 'never stray cats in the vicinity of a Chinese restaurant'. Well, we can put those rumors to rest finally. It wasn't the cats and dogs after all.
HAMBURG, N.Y. (WIVB) - Is road kill on the menu at a popular Hamburg, NY restaurant? A disturbing discovery at the China King Restaurant has forced health officials to lock the doors.
Lisa Williams was going to eat in the restaurant when she got some upsetting news. "Were you coming to eat here?" "Yeah, we were coming to eat." "Did you hear what happened?" "No." "Health inspectors closed it down because there was road kill out here, a deer." "Oh no."
People who came to China King for their Friday dinner found it hard to believe. A dead deer had been butchered inside the kitchen in the restaurant they've been coming to for years.
Patron, Sue Bender said, "Our daughter just called us because she knows this is our take out Chinese, and told us, you're not going to believe what was just on Channel Four."
A witness tells us he saw an oriental man dragging the deer inside.
"I watched him drag it across the parking lot and he dragged it through the front door of the China King Restaurant. I said this is just not right, so I called Hamburg Police and reported it. Sure enough by the time they got there, they said that he had the deer almost all butchered inside the restaurant."
Another patron wonders, "How stupid could that man be? To let that go on."
Erie County Health Commissioner, Dr Anthony Billitier said, "I don't know what the intention was with the deer, but they can't do that in the restaurant even if they were going to use it for private consumption. It's not consistent with the sanitary code.
Its a story that's closed down the restaurant and caused patron to loose their appetite
Lisa Williams said, "That's disgusting, I'll never eat Chinese again. I'm sorry for all these people out there. That's gross."
When asked if Sue Bender will come here again? She replied, "never...never."
The Health Commissioner tells News4 a hearing with the owner is scheduled for next week.
Story by Tricia Cruz, WIVB